The community that comprises the Society of Environmental Journalists and environmental journalism were enhanced beyond measure by Gary Braasch.
We celebrate his life, and mourn his unexpected death March 7, 2016, while documenting climate change along the Great Barrier Reef. SEJ’ers have many cherished memories of working with Gary. He was greatly loved, and will be greatly missed. We'll be considering the best way to honor Gary's memory, his work and his generosity of spirit.
“Gary was and remains the epitome of the environmental photojournalist, and set an example in his commitment to that endeavor that few others have achieved. He is already achingly missed.” – Roger Archibald, Freelance Writer/Photographer and SEJournal Photo Editor
“Gary was an absolute treasure. Not only was he a fine journalist, he also was very supportive of his colleagues strung across the United States and then some.” – Perry Beeman, Senior Staff Writer, Business Record
"Gary attended and spoke at several SEJ conferences over the years. He initiated effort early on to bring more photojournalists into the SEJ community. He brought his Smithsonian climate change project to be on display at our 2008 Roanoke conference. He was a tireless champion of climate change education. It's not a surprise that he died working." – Jay Letto, SEJ Conference Director
“Gary made countless and global contributions. But his stunning work takes on a whole new power now, to comfort those who loved him." – Beth Parke, SEJ Executive Director
"Gary was a phenomenal warrior in the battle against climate change and deniers. In addition to being an SEJ colleague, he was also a wonderful mentor and friend to everyone in the conservation photography community." – Jenny E. Ross, Freelance Photographer/Journalist
|Gary Braasch donated the cover photo (and three inside images) for the current issue (Spring 2016) of SEJournal.|
Facebook remembrances: Gary's | SEJ members page
Gary served as a mentor in SEJ's Mentor Program. In addition to his SEJ membership, Gary was a charter member of the International League of Conservation Photographers in 2005, as well as one of the founders of the North American Nature Photography Association in 1994.
- Gary's website: WorldViewOfGlobalWarming.org
- Fabulous photos.
- "Through the Lens: The Paris COP21 Meeting," Yale Climate Connections, December 9, 2015, by Gary Braasch.
- "Climate Photo of the Week: 35,000 Pacific walrus are on Alaska Arctic Ocean beach haul out because preferred ice floe habitat has melted away. Walrus have been continuously seen near Shell Oil’s ships in drilling area, official says." World View of Global Warming, August 2015, by Gary Braasch.
- Video: "'Climate Change, Our Personal Challenge,' Photography Presentation by Gary Braasch," Annual Conference of the National Council for Science and the Environment, Feb 24, 2015.
- "Earth Under Fire: How Global Warming is Changing the World," University of California Press (2009) by Gary Braasch.
- Video: "Gary Braasch & Stephen Schneider on Global Warming," EcoCity World Summit 2008.
- "Copenhagen Compromise," SEJournal, Spring 2010, by Gary Braasch.
- "Sidebar: Gary Braasch Covers Climate in Both Words and Photos," SEJournal, Summer 2009, by Roger Archibald.
Media reports and posts:
- "Omaha Native Gary Braasch Pioneered Photographing Climate Change's Effects on Planet," Omaha World-Herald, March 19, 2016, by Nancy Gaarder.
- "Witness to Climate Change: Remembering Photographer Gary Braasch," Oregon Public Broadcasting, March 11, 2016, by Kate Davidson.
- "Gary Braasch: Omnivorous Chronicler of Our Changing Planet," The Daily Climate, March 8, 2016, by Douglas Fischer.
- "Photojournalist Gary Braasch Dies on Great Barrier Reef," Brisbane Times, March 8, 2016, by Kim Stephens.
- "Portlander Gary Braasch, Renowned Photographer, Environmentalist, Dies Snorkeling off Australia," The Oregonian, March 8, 2016, by Jim Ryan.
- "Too Soon Gone – Gary Braasch, Visual Chronicler of Climate Change," Dot Earth blog, New York Times, March 8, 2016, by Andrew C. Revkin.
- "World-Renowned American Environmental Nature Photographer Dies Snorkelling at Lizard Island," Australian Museum release, March 7, 2016.
- "U.S. Climate Change Campaigner Dies Snorkeling at Great Barrier Reef," Reuters, March 7, 2016, by Swati Pandey.
- "Gary Braasch, Photographer and Climate Change Activist, Dead at 70," FoxNews.com, March 7, 2016.
- "Pri Potápaní Zahynul Známy Americký Fotograf Gary Braasch," Pozri! March 7, 2016.