|Michelle Nijhuis, a lapsed biologist, is a freelance journalist specializing in conservation and climate change. She is the author of "Beloved Beasts: Fighting for Life in an Age of Extinction" and "The Science Writers' Essay Handbook: How to Craft Compelling True Stories in Any Medium." More about Michelle.|
"I've been an SEJ member for more than 20 years, and it's made my job easier in countless ways. Most importantly, it's given me a sense of community that's sustained me through two decades of upheaval in journalism."
- Michelle Nijhuis, Freelance Journalist
Here's how you can help
journalists like Michelle:
Give to SEJ Programs to support essential training, resources, and convening, such as:
- SEJ Webinars like "All Life, Great and Small: Covering Biodiversity"
- Annual Conference events like "Birds, Conservation, Diversity and Inclusion" and "Ranching With Wolves: Can Humans and Predators Coexist?"
- SEJournal resources like "The Art of the Essay for Science and Environment Writers" by Michelle Nijhuis
Give to SEJ's Fund for Environmental Journalism to support small story grants, such as:
- "These Urchin Slayers Are Trying To Save California's Underwater 'Rainforest'," Grist, by Sierra Garcia
- "Beaver Believers: Native Americans Promote Resurgence of 'Nature's Engineers'," The Guardian, by Lucy Sherriff
- "L'Aire Protégée du Parc National des Trois-Baies, une Source de Biodiversité Négligée," Le Nouvelliste, by Pharès Jerome
Give to SEJ's Conference Diversity Travel Fellowships to help cover the costs of registration, travel, lodging and other expenses of Diversity Fellowships. Here’s what past participants had to say:
- "I wouldn't have been able to attend this conference without the support of the Diversity Fellowship, and I am eternally grateful to have this experience at a pivotal point in my early career."
- "I couldn't have attended the conference without the fellowship and I'm really grateful to SEJ and the sponsors for this opportunity. It gave me such a wonderful foundation for covering and reporting environmental stories."
Start a Facebook Fundraiser for SEJ: If you and your friends sign up to be a monthly donor to an eligible nonprofit on Facebook this giving season, then Meta may match a donation after the second payment is made.
- Meta will match up to $7 million of eligible donations. Matching began on November 15, 2022 and goes until December 31, 2022 — or until the $7 million match fund is spent. More info.
- Here's how to set up a Facebook Fundraiser.
Legacy giving: If you are ready to create a lasting legacy with SEJ, we recommend using FreeWill to create your will in 20 minutes or less — for free!
- Start your free will today.
- Have you already created a gift in your will or trust to SEJ? Fill out this form to let us know!