|Jim Bruggers covers energy, climate change and the environment in the U.S. Southeast for Inside Climate News. He was elected five times to the SEJ board, serving 13 years, including two years as vice president and two years as president. He currently volunteers for SEJ as our Future Conference Sites Coordinator. More about Jim.|
"SEJ has always been about reporters helping reporters. The connections I have made in SEJ feel like close friends and family and have helped me navigate professional and personal challenges."
- Jim Bruggers, Inside Climate News
Here's how you can help
journalists like Jim:
Give to SEJ Programs to support essential training, resources, and convening, such as:
- SEJ Webinars like "The U.S. Climate Summit: What Comes Next?"
- Annual Conference events like "The Future of Clean Energy" and "Extreme Weather: How To Report on a World That's Warmer, Colder, Wetter, Drier and Weirder"
- SEJournal resources like "Burgeoning National EV Trend Helps Drive Local Environment, Climate Stories" by Joseph A. Davis
Give to SEJ's Fund for Environmental Journalism to support small story grants, such as:
- "Welcome to Paradise: Batteries Now Included," Grist, by Scott Dodd
- "In Slumping Energy States, Plugging Abandoned Wells Could Provide an Economic Boost," Stateline blog, The Pew Charitable Trusts, by Erika Bolstad
- "The Radical Case for Growing Huge Swaths of Bamboo in North America," Inside Climate News, by Audrey Gray
Give to SEJ's Conference Diversity Travel Fellowships to help cover the costs of registration, travel, lodging and other expenses of Diversity Fellowships. Here’s what past participants had to say:
- "I wouldn't have been able to attend this conference without the support of the Diversity Fellowship, and I am eternally grateful to have this experience at a pivotal point in my early career."
- "I couldn't have attended the conference without the fellowship and I'm really grateful to SEJ and the sponsors for this opportunity. It gave me such a wonderful foundation for covering and reporting environmental stories."
Start a Facebook Fundraiser for SEJ: If you and your friends sign up to be a monthly donor to an eligible nonprofit on Facebook this giving season, then Meta may match a donation after the second payment is made.
- Meta will match up to $7 million of eligible donations. Matching began on November 15, 2022 and goes until December 31, 2022 — or until the $7 million match fund is spent. More info.
- Here's how to set up a Facebook Fundraiser.
Legacy giving: If you are ready to create a lasting legacy with SEJ, we recommend using FreeWill to create your will in 20 minutes or less — for free!
- Start your free will today.
- Have you already created a gift in your will or trust to SEJ? Fill out this form to let us know!