Meet SEJ member Elizabeth H. McGowan! Elizabeth is an independent reporter who focuses on renewable energy, energy efficiency, climate change, pipelines, just transition and utilities at the state level. A fellowship has allowed her to do most of her reporting for the Energy News Network since 2019. Her award-winning writing has also appeared in A.T. Journeys, Blue Ridge Outdoors magazine, Yale Environment 360, Grist, E/The Environmental Magazine, Washingtonian magazine, Intelligent Utility magazine, the journal Appalachia, Nature Conservancy magazine and multiple other outlets. Elizabeth has been based in Washington, D.C. since 2001 and previously reported in Missouri, Vermont and Wisconsin. As a staff correspondent for Inside Climate News, Elizabeth was part of a three-reporter team that won a Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting. That same series, "The Dilbit Disaster: Inside the Biggest Oil Spill You've Never Heard Of," won the Rachel Carson Environment Book Award from SEJ in 2013. A few years later, Elizabeth worked up the nerve to write a personal story about burning calories, not fossil fuel. The resulting book, "Outpedaling 'The Big C': My Healing Cycle Across America,” was released in 2020.
When asked how SEJ makes her job easier, Elizabeth said, "Just one example is a grant from the Fund for Environmental Journalism. The money allowed me to travel to southeastern Kentucky’s coal country to delve into a series of articles for Blue Ridge Outdoors magazine, 'Reclaiming Coal Country — Quest for a New Economy in Appalachia'." Join Elizabeth in the SEJ community today!
See some of Elizabeth's work:
- "Virginia Church 'Leading by Example' on Climate Action Through Solar, Efficiency," Energy News Network, March 23, 2022.
- "In Virginia, Momentum Grows for Grassroots Group Mobilized Against Now-Canceled Gas Plant," Energy News Network, October 19, 2021.
- "The Science Behind the COVID-19 Vaccines Could Be a Lifesaver for Melanoma Patients," PBS Next Avenue, August 5, 2021.
- "In Virginia, Solar 'Barn Raisings' Bring Power to Families in Need," Energy News Network, March 19, 2021.
- "With Wind on the Horizon, Virginia Trade School Accelerates Training for Homegrown Workforce," Energy News Network, March 9, 2021.
- "Coal's Collapse Under COVID-19 Adds Urgency to Just Transition Movement," Energy News Network, June 8, 2020.
Members: we want to put the #SEJSpotlight on you! Sign up here to participate.
Not yet a member? Join us today!