The Hudson River Foundation, a not-for-profit organization that supports scientific research, ecological enhancement, and educational programs for the Hudson River and its estuary, is seeking an experienced communications professional to assist us in building our outreach capacity. This is a part-time (20 hour/week) position. We are particularly interested in candidates with experience communicating science to non-expert audiences and the capacity to produce clear, concise, persuasive, and well-designed communications addressing complex issues and information. Excellent writing, editing and oral communication skills are essential as is fluency with modern communication platforms, channels, and tools.
- 2-3 years of experience in a similar communication capacity;
- Experience with and a portfolio of science communications of various forms;
- Evidence of maintaining a social media presence on a professional level including use of social media management tools;
- Experience engaging with traditional media outlets, especially in NYC, Hudson Valley, and northern NJ;
- Affinity for science and the capacity to understand scientific research;
- Ability to work with a variety of individuals and partners to support their respective needs.
- Ability to navigate online publishing tools such as WordPress;
- Experience in supporting in-person seminars, workshops and conferences;
- Desktop publishing/design experience;
- Experience with video editing and/or video production;
- Experience and understanding of non-profit development needs.
Location: The Foundation’s offices are located in Lower Manhattan. Depending on experience, employment can be a mix of virtual and in-office work. Applicants are expected to live within reasonable commuting distance.
Salary/Benefits: $40,000 annually for 20 hours a week with excellent health insurance.
Start Date: Resumes will be reviewed as received with an anticipated start date of no later than November 1, 2021.
Applicants should send the following materials as a single pdf document to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A cover letter which includes how your interests and qualifications intersect with the mission of the Foundation and the requirements of this job
- A resume detailing previous positions and educational background
- A portfolio of recent work including at least three examples of short-form expository writing; specific examples of web-based communications; and links to professional social media posts.
HRF is committed to serving the diverse communities of the Hudson River and to facilitating an ongoing and inclusive dialogue with scientists, managers, policy makers, other stakeholders, and the general public to address the environmental and societal challenges facing the community of the Hudson River and Watershed. We seek to enhance this work by supporting researchers, students and a Foundation staff with the unique and varied backgrounds, circumstances, needs, and perspectives of the community we serve, to achieve a workplace that is diverse, equitable, inclusive, and just.