ecoRI News — a trusted source for environmental and climate-justice news in southern New England since 2009 — is looking to hire an editor to lead and manage its newsroom. As editor, you will have the opportunity to shape the coverage of the region’s only environmental news organization.
- Set the editorial vision for the newsroom.
- Manage the story budget and help staff reporters and freelancers develop story ideas.
- Work with reporters through all phases of story development from identification through polishing copy, gathering art, layout and publication.
- Curate and edit opinion submissions from the community.
- Post stories to website daily and plan story budget for weekly e-newsletter.
- Write and edit stories.
- Act as the public face of the newsroom and interface with the community — readers, stakeholders, donors and founders — responding to story tips and providing feedback.
- While no single candidate may embody all the qualifications below, an ideal candidate would possess many of the below experiences and skill sets:
- Knowledge of or passion for environmental issues
- Exceptional writing, reporting and editing craft
- Solid news background and at least five years’ experience as an editor
- Effective leadership and personnel management skills
- Ability to work with seasoned reporters as well as early career journalists
- Knowledge of WordPress a plus
- Uncompromising news judgement and commitment to editorial standards
- Demonstrated proficiency in digital storytelling (video, text, audio)
- Committed to reporting that is inclusive and reflective of all communities, particularly those historically underrepresented in mainstream media
- Outstanding editing, coaching, organizational and communication skills
- Ability to multitask and work on deadlines
Salary range is $60,000 to $70,000 annually depending on experience. Benefits include three weeks paid vacation, Simple IRA with 3 percent company match, health-care stipend, 5 percent employee profit sharing after one year of employment, up to $1,000 stipend for professional development, flexible schedule. The editor will have the ability to work remotely but must live in or be willing to relocate to ecoRI News’ coverage area (Rhode Island or bordering communities in Massachusetts and Connecticut).
To apply: Send cover letter, resume and 3-5 clips that you’ve written and/or edited to firstname.lastname@example.org.