|Sharon Guynup is a freelance journalist, author, photographer, producer and speaker with expertise in wildlife, health and environmental issues, including zoonotic disease and climate change. She has also volunteered for SEJ’s Mentor Program for nearly two decades. More about Sharon.|
"I've mentored with SEJ for many years. In the process, I've had the opportunity to forge powerful relationships with some brilliant young journalists, friendships that continue to this day."
- Sharon Guynup, Freelance Journalist
Here's how you can help
journalists like Sharon:
Give to SEJ Programs to support essential training, resources, and convening, such as:
- SEJ Webinars like "All Life, Great and Small: Covering Biodiversity and Climate," moderated by Sharon Guynup
- Annual Conference events like "Biodiversity 201: Reporting on the Sixth Extinction" and "Dual Crises: Reporting on the Intersections of COVID-19 and Climate Change"
- SEJournal resources like "Freelance Files: Meeting the Challenge of Making More Money" by Christine Woodside
Give to SEJ's Fund for Environmental Journalism to support small story grants, such as:
- "The Coming Diseases: As the Climate Warms, Alaska Faces New Threats From Zoonotic Illnesses," Arctic Today, by Yereth Rosen
- "Pleistocene Park: Born to Rewild," Science Magazine, by Eli Kintisch
- "How Biodiversity Conservation Can Help Manage Future Pandemics — for Plants and for Humans," The Counter, by Simran Sethi
Give to SEJ's Conference Diversity Travel Fellowships to help cover the costs of registration, travel, lodging and other expenses of Diversity Fellowships. Here’s what past participants had to say:
- "I wouldn't have been able to attend this conference without the support of the Diversity Fellowship, and I am eternally grateful to have this experience at a pivotal point in my early career."
- "I couldn't have attended the conference without the fellowship and I'm really grateful to SEJ and the sponsors for this opportunity. It gave me such a wonderful foundation for covering and reporting environmental stories."
Start a Facebook Fundraiser for SEJ: If you and your friends sign up to be a monthly donor to an eligible nonprofit on Facebook this giving season, then Meta may match a donation after the second payment is made.
- Meta will match up to $7 million of eligible donations. Matching began on November 15, 2022 and goes until December 31, 2022 — or until the $7 million match fund is spent. More info.
- Here's how to set up a Facebook Fundraiser.
Legacy giving: If you are ready to create a lasting legacy with SEJ, we recommend using FreeWill to create your will in 20 minutes or less — for free!
- Start your free will today.
- Have you already created a gift in your will or trust to SEJ? Fill out this form to let us know!