The SEJ Board of Directors created a standing Governance Committee on March 7, 2020.
The Governance Committee is responsible for the health and functioning of the board. It recruits new members, conducts orientation, produces board materials and evaluates the performance of the board itself. It is composed of three SEJ board members and, optionally at the board’s discretion, two SEJ members who ideally have extensive prior experience serving on the SEJ Board of Directors. The sitting SEJ president and the Executive Director shall be ex-officio members of the Governance Committee.
The Governance Committee shall:
- Review and propose policy for the governance and structure of the SEJ Board of Directors
- Periodically review governing documents to ensure consistency with applicable laws and recommend revisions and new governing policies to the board
- Establish board performance metrics to ensure the board is operating at its optimal level
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of the board and its committees and provide a performance report at all regularly scheduled board meetings
- Recommend the request for resignation or removal of a board member, as appropriate
- Establish and implement a strategy for the recruitment of prospective directors
- Monitor board diversity and inclusiveness
- Establish and provide orientation materials and trainings for new and existing board members
- Establish and regularly review board leadership succession strategy
- Recommend resolutions of disputes regarding board member service, performance and structural matters
- Meet at least quarterly and prior to all regularly scheduled board meetings
- Organize board social events